China Visa Application

There are many types of China visa but today we will introduce you how to apply for 4 main type China visa including China visa for tourist, China visa for work, China visa for students and China visa for business.

China visa application for tourist  (L Visa)

This type is issued for people planning to go on a vacation or visit family in China. If you go to travel with a group organized by travel agency, a group visa is acceptable.

A Tourist Visa is the most common type of visa and likely to be the one that travelers opt for. You can apply for it without any help from a business, school, or government agency.

This visa is usually issued for single-entry, double-entry, or multiple-entry. The duration of each stay is normally 30–60 days.

Step1: Collect your documents.

You need to prepare these documents:

  • Passport (original, not a copy) with at least two blank visa pages
  • A complete visa application form (The visa application form can be downloaded from the Chinese embassy website or from our website. You complete it by computer, print and sign it.)
  • A recent passport-type photograph (head and shoulders only, front view, with a white background, approximately 35mm x 45mm)
  • Air ticket booking record (round trip) and proof of a hotel reservation.

If you are planning to stay with friends or family who live in China and can’t provide the hotel confirmation, you need to provide an invitation letter. The letter should include the following:

  • Personal information of the applicant: name, gender, and date of birth
  • Details of the visit: dates, purpose, places to visit, and places of accommodation
  • Details of the inviting party: name(s), telephone number, address, and relationship to the applicant

If your travel is being organized by a tour group in China, an official signed and stamped invitation letter for tourists issued by a duly authorized tourism unit in China can be used in place of the hotel reservation.

Step 2: Submit the application

You may submit the application to the Visa Office at Chinese embassies or consulates, or China Visa Application Service Centers if they are operating in your country.

Application which are sent by post, are not accepted by most overseas Chinese embassies or consulates. No appointment is required by most embassies or consulates.

If you cannot go in person, you can entrust someone else to drop off the visa application, or a travel/visa agency to help handle your visa application.

Step 3: Pay the visa application fee and take your visa.

The fees vary enormously depending on your nationality and number of entries.

Apply for special permits, if necessary. If you are planning on traveling to the Tibet Autonomous Region, you will need to get a special permit from a Chinese travel agency.

If you are already in Hong Kong and want to visit mainland China, it is possible to get a China visa in Hong Kong.

China visa application for business ( F Visa)

If you’re planning to take a business trip to China, you will need a Business Visa. This visa is usually issued for single-entry, double-entry, or multiple-entry. The duration of each stay is normally 30–60 days.

Apart from the general documents, such as your passport, a visa application form, and a recent passport-type photograph, this visa requires that you have an invitation letter provided by a Chinese organization or company.

You can get your invitation letter from one of two sources:

  • A Chinese government agency
  • A company or organization (such as a trade fair/show) in mainland China

If your invitation letter is from a Chinese company or institution, it must be printed on their official letterhead, showing their company address, phone number, and fax number. The letter must also have the official seal of the company or institution.

The following eight elements should be included in your invitation letter:

  • Your personal information: name, date of birth, passport number, full name of the company that you work for, and your job title;
  • Major purpose of your visit;
  • City you will visit;
  • Date of arrival and departure;
  • Explanation of the relationship between the Chinese company and your company;
  • Explanation of who will bear the cost of your accommodation in China;
  • Personal information about the person inviting you: full name, job title, detailed company address, fax number, and phone number;
  • Official seal of the company or organization and signature of the inviter.

The F visa (visa for exchanges and visits) is similar to the M visa in its document requirements and application process.

You need to apply for a work visa if you want to work in China.

China visa application for work (Z Visa)

If you want to work in China and get paid, you will need a Work Visa. Here are the most important things you need to know:

  • Ask your employer to send you the proper documents, such as a Visa Notification Letter and Employee Permit.
  • This visa is only valid for 30 days from the date of arrival. So you need to apply for a Temporary Residence Permit in a Public Security Bureau (police station) when you arrive.
  • Generally, the age limit for male applicants is 18–60 and it’s 18–55 for female applicants.

China visa application for students (X visa)

Anyone who intends to apply for a student visa in China must first be accepted for admission by a recognised Chinese educational institution, then must obtain a student visa before arriving in China.

To legally stay in China during the study period, foreign students must apply for either an X1 Student Visa (for study/fieldwork of more than 180 days) or an X2 Student Visa (for study/fieldwork less than 180 days).

Step 1: Apply at the Right Time

The best time to apply for a Chinese visa is between two months and fifteen days before your departure to China. Note: the rush service (one business day) is only available in some countries.

The visa will expire after 90 days (or 180 days, in some cases), starting from the day you obtain it. X visas are valid for one entry. The holder of an X visa must go through residential formalities in the local public security department within thirty days of entry into China to obtain a Residence Permit for the Purpose of Study.

Step 2: Prepare the Required Documents

  1. Completed Visa Application Form of the People’s Republic of China
  2. Original and copy of Visa Application for Study in China (JW201 or JW202)
  3. Original and copy of China education institution admission letter
  4. Two suitable photos
  5. Passport with over 6 months validity
  6. Proof of legal stay or residence status (if not applying from your home country)

Other relevant documents may be required depending on background and/or country of applicants.

Download the China visa application form and fill it out carefully and accurately to eliminate any errors as this can cause a delay in processing and/or a refusal of the requested visa.

Receive your JW201 or JW202 form and written notice of admission from your Chinese educational institution. You can print out the admission letter from the Internet, but you must submit the original JW form, filled in and sent to you by the Chinese educational institution, and signed by yourself. Photocopy them.

Obtain two suitable “Chinese passport photographs” (head and shoulders only, front view, with a white background, approximately 35mm x 45mm)

Step 3: Submit Your Application

Submit the visa application form at the Chinese Embassy, Consulate, or Visa Application Center (VAC) in your home country.

Pay the visa application fee. In most countries, the fee must be paid when you apply for the visa. The price varies from 30 to 140 USD depending on your nationality, the type of visa, the country where you apply and the number of entries.

You can send your application through a travel agency or a visa agency for submission on your behalf. Most Chinese Embassies, Consulates, and VACs do not accept documents by post.

If you cannot go in person, you can entrust someone else to drop off the visa application, or a travel/visa agency to help handle your visa application.

For further information for each countries please visit:

Chinese Embassies and Chinese consulates world wide.

Source & Copyright: The source of the above visa and immigration information and copyright owner’s is the:
– Ministry of Foreign Affairs in China– URL: URL:

You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Related Embassies and Consulates